RETIRED PRODUCT – NO LONGER AVAILABLE! Please consider StormLink® RWIS – Model 5410-00 to provide robust and flexible environmental measurements.
The NTCIP Mini-RWIS Remote Processing Unit (RPU) – Model 5470-02 is the heart of a standards based, open architecture National Transportation Communications for ITS Protocol (NTCIP)-compliant Road Weather Information System (RWIS) Environmental Sensor Station (ESS), designed for primary deployment within new existing traffic cabinets, dynamic message sign cabinets, etc. RWIS stations provide important information about weather and roadway conditions, helping operations and maintenance personnel stay informed so that they can make timely decisions and improve traffic safety. While full RWIS stations typically require new right-of-way space with a dedicated pad, tower, cabinet, fence and utilities work which all contribute to the high price and complex installation for these stations, many road weather related decisions need to be made in locations where existing infrastructure is already in place. High Sierra Electronics’ compact NTCIP Mini-RWIS Remote Processing Unit allows transportation agencies to implement open architecture RPU based RWIS systems at a fraction of the cost of full stand alone installations. This unique approach to NTCIP compliant RWIS allows for simpler installation at a lower cost than traditional standalone RWIS stations.
The fully self-contained compact form factor of the NTCIP Mini-RWIS Remote Processing Unit, along with its support for a full suite of commercially available open architecture pavement surface and atmospheric sensors, make it an ideal choice for RWIS applications.
Besides providing important road surface and weather information, the NTCIP Mini-RWIS Remote Processing Unit activates and deactivates isolated outputs based on user settable high and low thresholds, enabling use of locally resolved weather status information to activate local public warning devices such messages signs, flashing beacon signs or other public warning devices. Further, these outputs may be used to activate traffic signal controller preemptions, enabling new and innovative approaches to improving traffic safety.
Communications with the NTCIP Mini-RWIS Remote Processing Unit is NTCIP 1204v3 ESS via Ethernet or RS-232 connection, providing the flexibility needed to poll and collect data over a variety of communications means. As a fully certified NTCIP compliant system, central polling and monitoring can be provided by any number of agency owned or hosted software solutions, including many Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) systems and stand alone software solutions. Any NTCIP compliant Central Software can interrogate and receive data from the NTCIP Mini-RWIS Remote Processing Unit.
In order to easily fit in the tight quarters of a traffic cabinet, the entire NTCIP Mini-RWIS Remote Processing Unit, including NTCIP controller, sensor surge protection, power converter, and condition status outputs are packaged to fit in a 1U rack mount enclosure. Sensors can be deployed on existing nearby traffic poles, camera poles, sign gantries or luminaries using standard mounting hardware.
SENSORS AND FUNCTIONALITY
All the sensors we supply are industry standard commercially available open architecture sensors. Additional sensors can be incorporated. In support of our commitment to open architecture solutions, we publish the full list of NTCIP Objects used, including Manufacturer Specific Objects necessary to provide data and functionality not included in the 1204v3 ESS standard. This “no secrets” approach simplifies integration with Central Software and interoperability with other manufacturer’s equipment.
- Remote Road Surface Condition Sensor – Series 5433: Equip up to 8 to non-intrusively monitor road surface conditions.
- Parking Lot Surface Sensor – Model 5721-01: Equip up to 2 to add sub-surface temperature monitoring to the sensors above.
- Pressure Transducer – Series 6640: Equip up to 2 to monitor water level.
- Tipping Bucket Rain Gauge – Model 2400: A rain gauge for measuring precipitation rate and total.
- Barometric Pressure Sensor – Model 5730-03: Provides solid-state barometric pressure data for all elevations.
- Air Temperature/Relative Humidity Sensor – Model 5723-00: Designed for use outdoors measuring Relative Humidity & Temperature.
- Wind Speed and Direction Sensor – Model 5712-00: Provides wind speed and direction information.
- Visibility Sensor – Model 5434-00: Measures atmospheric visibility for use in RWIS Environmental Sensor Stations.
- Solar Radiation Sensor – Model 5790-00: Designed for field measurements of solar energy studies for site evaluation and monitoring passive system analysis.