The IceSight™ Non-intrusive Road Condition Sensor, Model 5433, uses laser and infrared electro-optical technology to read surface condition, temperature and reduction of surface grip due to water, snow and ice. Using special signal processing techniques and comprehensive data analysis, the sensor is immune to passing traffic and various road treatment chemicals.
When used in conjunction with HSE’s RWIS Remote Processing Units, the IceSight sensor provides NTCIP 1204 ESS standards compliant open architecture communications.
The Model 5433 IceSight Non-intrusive Surface Condition Sensor provides road weather professionals real-time surface and atmospheric measurements required to make critical maintenance decisions in a single compact unit. Surface condition information eliminates road-treatment guesswork and supports more effective allocation of surface treatment resources. Information is typically used for ATMS, MDSS and Weather Responsive Traffic Management applications to improve traffic safety and road maintenance programs.
The IceSight measures the road surface condition, surface friction or grip, surface temperature, air temperature and relative humidity without the need to embed a sensor
in the road surface. This reduces the costs involved with installation and maintenance. The IceSight is easily mounted on a pole or RWIS tower structure near the road surface with available mounting brackets or commonly available camera mounting hardware.
- No road surface cutting reduces time and costs of maintenance and installation
- Open communication protocol for simple integration
- Long optical range offers flexible installation
- Large measurement area provides more representative determination of surface condition
- Weather responsive traffic management. Activate public warning ITS devices based on road surface conditions or friction
- Road weather management tool. Utilize data in winter severity and road weather indexes to better manage resources
- Measures numerous parameters. Surface Condition (dry, damp, wet, snow, ice), Surface Friction, Surface Temperature, Air Temperature, Relative Humidity
- Dirty lens indication. An internal algorithm determines when the front lens needs to be cleaned. The flat lens is easily cleaned with the removable nose cone