RETIRED PRODUCT – NO LONGER AVAILABLE! Please consider StormLink® RWIS – Model 5410-00 to provide robust and flexible environmental measurements.
The RWIS Remote Processing Unit (RPU) – Model 5400-03 is the heart of a standards based, open architecture National Transportation Communications for ITS Protocol (NTCIP)-compliant Road Weather Information System (RWIS) Environmental Sensor Station (ESS), designed for primary deployment in new or existing RWIS stations. RWIS systems provide important information about weather and roadway conditions, helping operations and maintenance personnel stay informed so that they can make timely decisions and improve traffic safety. RWIS Remote Processing Unit systems allow transportation agencies to implement open architecture RPU-based RWIS in a cost effective manner.
The enclosure shelf or panel mount form factor of the RWIS Remote Processing Unit, along with its support for a full suite of commercially available open architecture pavement surface and atmospheric sensors, make it an ideal choice of RWIS applications.
Besides providing important road surface and weather information, the RWIS Remote Processing Unit activates and deactivates isolated outputs based on user settable high and low thresholds, enabling use of locally resolved weather status information to activate local public warning devices such messages signs, flashing beacon signs, or other public warning devices. Further, these outputs may be used to activate traffic signal controller preemptions, enabling new and innovative approaches to improving traffic safety.
Communications with the RWIS Remote Processing Unit is NTCIP 1204v3 ESS via Ethernet or RS-232 connection, providing the flexibility needed to poll and collect data over a variety of communications means. As a fully certified NTCIP compliant system, central polling and monitoring can be provided by any number of agency owned or hosted software solutions, including many Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) systems and stand alone software solutions. Any NTCIP compliant Central Software can interrogate and receive data from the RWIS Remote Processing Unit.
The entire RWIS Remote Processing Unit, including NTCIP controller, sensor surge protection, power converter, and condition status outputs are packaged on a cabinet mount L-Panel. Sensors can be deployed on the RWIS tower, existing nearby traffic poles, camera poles, sign gantries or luminaries using standard mounting hardware.
SENSORS AND FUNCTIONALITY
All the sensors we supply are industry standard commercially available open architecture sensors. Additional sensors can be incorporated. In support of our commitment to open architecture solutions, we publish the full list of NTCIP Objects used, including Manufacturer Specific Objects necessary to provide data and functionality not included in the 1204v3 ESS standard. This “no secrets” approach simplifies integration with Central Software and interoperability with other manufacturer’s equipment.
- Remote Road Surface Condition Sensor – Series 5433: Equip up to 8 to non-intrusively monitor road surface conditions.
- Parking Lot Surface Sensor – Model 5721-01: Equip up to 2 to add sub-surface temperature monitoring to the sensors above.
- Pressure Transducer – Series 6640: Equip up to 2 to monitor water level.
- Tipping Bucket Rain Gauge – Model 2400: A rain gauge for measuring precipitation rate and total.
- Barometric Pressure Sensor – Model 5730-03: Provides solid-state barometric pressure data for all elevations.
- Air Temperature/Relative Humidity Sensor – Model 5723: Designed for use outdoors measuring Relative Humidity & Temperature.
- Wind Speed and Direction Sensor – Model 5712-00: Provides wind speed and direction information.
- Visibility Sensor – Model 5434-00: Measures atmospheric visibility for use in RWIS Environmental Sensor Stations.
- Solar Radiation Sensor – Model 5790-00: Designed for field measurements of solar energy studies for site evaluation and monitoring passive system analysis.